Skincare techniques are forever evolving. News trends, products, routines are constantly changing and showing us new benefits for our skin.
As we have learned over the past few years, using high quality, clean products are important but so are the techniques and tools we use with those products. Techniques such as facial massage, light therapy, beauty rollers, micro needling rollers, facial steamers, gua sha, cleansing brushes and the list goes on! Today we are going to walk you though a new beauty tool and routine—Facial Cupping!
Some of you might know of cupping for an all over body experience. The suction promotes blood circulation and may help relieve muscle tension, promote cell repair, and aid in other regeneration. Athletes tend to use cupping as a way to relieve sore muscle and improve performance.
Facial Cupping and Body cupping are similar but not the same thing. Facial cups are typically smaller and softer. They’re used to gently pull the skin away from deeper layers of our skin. This increases blood flow to the area and rejuvenates the skin without leaving cup marks behind. Facial cups can be created with a hard plastic, gel-like plastic or a much softer plastic—this is a personal preference, see which one works best for you!
Facial Cupping can benefit the skin in many ways:
- Reduce inflammation and puffiness
- Increase blood circulation
- Relax tense muscles
- Increase collagen production
- Tone chin, jawline, neck, and décolletage
- Regulate oil production in pores
Can I do facial cupping at home?
The answer is yes, you can purchase facial cupping kits for at home facials. Here are some of our favourites Many spas are offering facial cupping now as an add on to your go-to facial as well!
How do I get started?
Here is a step by step routine you can try at home with your new facial cupping kit!
The basic rules to facial cupping are: squeeze, suck, and move.
- Wash your face and pat dry.
- Lightly massage your face with your hands to release preliminary tension.
- Apply a light layer of facial oil to your skin—this helps the cupping glide over your skin without damaging your skin. Bio-Oil Skincare Oil is one of our favourite facial oils to use
- Start by applying a small cup to your chin and around your mouth. Leave the cup in place for few seconds and squeeze the cup to attach to your skin.
- Then move upward to a new area and continue the process.
- Swap out different size cups as needed, like when you get to your forehead.
- Continue until you have successfully cupped all desired areas.
- Once you have completed, finish off your skincare routine. Facial cupping is said to increase product absorption, so now’s the time to apply your moisturizer. Don’t forget sunscreen